Download the goTenna app and pair your goTenna Mesh device to your phone via Bluetooth. Share real-time locations and send private or group messages to other goTenna Mesh users at point-to-point ranges typically up to 4 miles.
goTenna Mesh privately and securely hops messages across devices, extending the range. In 1-to-1 messaging, only end-users see messages. "Shout" messages are public broadcasts visible across the local mesh network.
It has great uses like for a group camping or hiking off the grid, or friends on a cruise ship, a community which does not have Internet connectivity, etc.
1. Consumer focussed, easy to set up and use
2. Mesh networking can extend the range
3. No subscription version has useful functionality at zero ongoing cost
4. Small compact battery powered device
5. Works with any Android or iOS smartphone
1. Proprietary standard (Aspen Groveprotocol) so other users must specifically have a goTenna device - cannot hook into other mesh networks
2. Costs around $179 for two devices - no affordable for poorer communities
3. Mesh network depends on others having the same device in your area
4. Radio licensing regulations may be a problem in some countries - operates on the 902MHz ISM band between 0,5W to 1W - in the EU and ITU Region 1 it operates within 869.425 - 869.625 MHz
There are open WiFi standards emerging especially for mesh networking (eg. “EasyMesh” standard by the Wi-Fi Alliance) but they are usually aimed at static home devices, not compact mobile devices like this. Mesh networking is certainly part of the future but I'd like to see it being an open standard where these type of devices along with vehicle and home devices can all interconnect to maximise the mesh connectivity and offer consumers their choice of device. And yes often a simple alternative could also be license-free walkie-talkies, except that they don't mesh across each other. There are some Bluetooth biker headsets though such as Sena which do this with Bluetooth but they are also not cheap to buy. Even the app-based ones on phone all boil down to whether anyone else is using it.
See their website at https://gotennamesh.com
and their coverage map of nodes in use at https://imeshyou.gotennamesh.com/
#technology goTenna Mesh | Text & GPS on your phone, even without service.
goTenna Mesh enables you to use your smartphone to text & share locations, regardless of cell coverage or wifi. Create a smart, people-powered network, anywhere.