Android is (was) about choices the user has to change lots of things in the OS to suit themselves but recently Google has been dumbing down the OS so much that it is starting the break some useful functionality (unless we get the option to bypass / opt out of some of these new "features"). Android had been improving so much that I was no longer finding the need to root my phone or replace Android with LineageOS but now that the pendulum seems to be swing more towards iOS I keenly watching how LineageOS is steadily adding more and more features and options for users.
LineageOS is not only relevant for power users though as its other claim to fame is enabling the very latest releases of the OS to run on many older phones where the OEMs are no longer pushing out updates any longer which leaves those phones vulnerable.
Some of LineageOS' recent changes include:
* AOSP’s Night Display now controls night mode (on recent devices only, such as those with a Snapdragon 820 or more recent)
* LiveDisplay remains available for all its other features
* The volume panel can now be expanded to control all the various volume streams
* The volume panel can now be optionally relocated to the left
* Expanded quick settings are back
* Detailed views for the following tiles are available: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, Location, Profiles
* New default wallpaper and a new wallpapers app with many new, and old, wallpapers
* Other than the usual nature, urban and abstract themed wallpapers, monochromatic and gradients wallpapers are now available
* Privacy Guard now supports apps in the Work Profile
* It’s possible to add up to two LockScreen shortcuts again
* Circle battery is back after being missing since LineageOS 13.0
* Notification ringtone level can be unlinked from phone calls ringtone level
* GPS battery saving mode can now be enabled from the Settings
* Vim has been updated to version 8.1 (Nano has been updated to version 4.2)
* Fixed issue where using certain private DNS caused devices to crash thanks to backported fix from Q
* Updated call recording configurations (both 15.1 and 16.0)
* Call recordings are (dis)allowed on countries basing on laws and/or legal precedents (whilst USA is now blocked South Africa is fine with it)
* April, May and June security patches have been merged (both 15.1 and 16.0)
#android LineageOS Changelog 23: Here are all the new features and changes
LineageOS has published its latest blog post for Changelog 23, detailing the many new features and changes in the Android 8.1 Oreo/Android 9 Pie custom ROM.