Through this RFI, DOE is soliciting input in five categories:
* An evaluation of the use of EVs to maintain the reliability of the electric grid.
* The impact of grid integration on EVs.
* The impacts to the electric grid of increased penetration by EVs.
* Research on the standards needed to integrate EVs with the grid, including communications systems, protocols, and charging stations.
* The cybersecurity challenges and needs associated with electrifying the transportation sector.
A request for information is always the best way to go to first determine what needs to be considered before designing any specifications for later tenders, versus having your specifications shaped by a single dominant player already in the market. Another positive here is that they are clearly also looking to see how EVs can be used as broader grid-storage and grid frequency stabilisation (first and fourth categories point towards this).
See U.S. Energy Department Releases Request for Information on Electric Vehicle Grid Integration
The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), and DOE’s Office of Electricity (OE), have announced a request for information (RFI) seeking feedback from industry, academia, research laboratories, government agencies, and other stakeholders on issues related to integrating electric vehicles (EVs) with the grid. Electrification is a key part […]